- 4 ripe pears
- 100g caster sugar
- 50g unsalted butter
- 1 vanilla pod, seeds scraped out
- 1 star anise
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 roll of ready-made puff pastry
- Preheat your oven to 200°C/gas 6.
- Peel, quarter and core the pears.
- Put the sugar into a 20cm ovenproof frying pan to melt over a low heat without stirring.
- Once the sugar has turned a caramel colour, stir in the butter to make a smooth caramel.
- Add the vanilla seeds, star anise and cinnamon stick to the pan.
6. Arrange the pears in the pan, cut side up, then place over a medium heat and cook for 5 minutes.
7. Roll out the puff pastry to 5mm thick and cut out a 24cm circle, using a plate as a guide.
8. Place the pastry over the pears and quickly tuck down the sides with a round-bladed knife.
9. Bake in the preheated oven for about 30 minutes until golden and risen.
10. Let the tarte tatin sit for 5 minutes to allow the caramel to settle, then very carefully turn out onto a large serving plate.